Monday, October 13, 2014

[African Love It]

Yebo Yahweh


I can't believe I'm starting my sixth week. We are heading into finals this week and next week we start our Community Development course and service sites. It's so hard to soak it all in when I'm losing track of the days, hours, and minutes. All the memories I've been making, laughs I've been sharing, tears that come out of nowhere, and talks that have allowed me and others to share their hearts have made it all worth it. But, I know my time here won't be slowing down. So, allow me to recap my life, since I am such a terrible blogger and don't really get around to replying to most people. #sorrynotsorry

Two weekends ago, was my first SAFARI! It was so awesome. I miss those three days driving around for hours with Nigel not having a worry about anything except for finding all the mammals we wanted to see. Elephants, Giraffes, White Rhinos, Inyalas, Kudu, Lions, Cheetah, Monitor Lizards, Alligators, Hyenas, and much more. It was so worth the freeing cold wind that blasted our faces as we sat onto of the open vehicle, screaming out "gun squad" at every bird watcher that was in our way, doing the shmurda dance every time someone said "about a week agoooo", and being cornered by elephants. I wish we could have shared the experience holistically, since the groups were divided up. But overall, the food was EXCELLENT, the people were RAD, and the animals were DOPE. I wish that anyone reading this will get an opportunity to experience animals in their natural habitats and not at the man-made zoos in the States.   

This last weekend we had a Durban day. Durban is an city about an hour away from PMB. It reminds me a lot of Los Angeles or Pomona, honestly. We went to an indoor market. That was just overwhelming. People constantly telling you to go inside to their shops, the small spaces, the smell of Indian curries, men staring you up and down, especially when they hear your American accent...it was just too many people in one place. So I don't particularly fancy that kind of setting. After that we went to the Beach. It was overcast, on the verge of raining and then it did rain, and it was so unbelievably windy the sand we literally blasting our legs and faces. On top of the less than desirable weather, our bus broke down. So we were stranded for a little over three hours. A test of patience, for sure. But we did find a cute beach front restaurant that had some good burgers, fries, and pina coladas. Despite the unfortunate circumstances I, at least, had a good time.

But I'm so excited to start service sites next week. Be looking for my next blog, as I will be sharing a radical story as to how I ended up choosing my service site. Literally, nothing goes as planned.

Peace be the journey.
And as always, here are some photos:

This is the squad.


This is one of the Elephants that charged us


 My faves


Durban // During the storm // If i had a picture for the end of the world it would look like this 



3 comments:

  1. Love that you're wearing our jacket! Miss you lots and glad you're having an amazing time! Love ya! 😜 #sistahood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sharing and enthusiasm. I read every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making memories everyday! Enjoy every second of this experience! There are hidden treasures along the way! You were meant to find them! :0)

    ReplyDelete